Aurora cosmetics UAE

8 skincare products may sound like a lot to you, but when broken down, it may make more sense. One won’t work as well with the other. And the other won’t help prevent wrinkles like you want to. I’m a little obsessed with skincare these days. But when you have all the right products, you can maximize your results.

After being introduced to Cosmedix in my late 20’s I haven’t really looked back at my terrible skincare habits. I was never washing my face. Maybe in the shower with something from the drugstore. And I wasn’t using any sort of toner, serum or anti-aging products. I would get horribly clogged pores on my forehead and develop small flesh colored bumps in the summer. And in the winter, my pores on my nose would be black and full of dead skin. Not pretty, I promise.

Since I’ve been using Cosmedix for a few years, and learning so much more about skincare and ingredients, I feel like I found my other passion. Skincare!  I’ve been saying lately that if I ever needed to quit the blog and find another job, I think I’d become an aesthetician. I just love talking about skincare, I love seeing the transformation and I love learning about it.

“I regret taking such good care of my skin” – said no one ever

The 8 Essential Skincare Products You Need

A few things I learned over the years is that you definitely need an arsenal of skincare products. From morning routines to nighttime, to even your weekly ones.  The below is not only the list of the type of products you should own, but also the products I personally use. This list includes products your routine should have no matter what.  I’ve provided suggestions on the products I use, but this list is really a list of steps you should have regardless. From cleansing to exfoliating, to using toners, serums, and moisturizers. These are the types of skincare products your routine should have and I’m providing my favorite products within that routine. You can obviously swap out the product, but I want you to learn about the step itself and why it’s important.

START WITH THE MINIMUM

If you’re new to skincare I’m going to recommend starting with a few things. Cleanser, exfoliator, moisturizer. If you’re doing at least that, you’re probably way ahead of the game. If you want to go a little farther and make your moisturizer work harder for you, invest in a great serum. And to prevent wrinkles, a daily night cream, or a 2-3 times a week stronger retinol. More on each of these types of products, what they mean and how to use them below.

The 8 Skincare Products Every Woman Should Own

1. CLEANSER

This is the no-brainer. If you aren’t cleansing your face we got some problems, friend! I typically cleanse my face in the morning in the shower. But you will also use your cleanser at night before your night time routine.

Cleansers work to remove dirt, oil and makeup. They help to unclog pores and remove dead skin. I personally use this cleanser and this cleanser. One in the summer, and one in the winter. Benefit Clean is super gentle a great universal cleanser.

You should also be doing a DOUBLE cleanse. Either cleansing your skin for two whole minutes OR one minute with your gentle cleanser, and one with a more exfoliating type (the next product below!).




2. EXFOLIATOR

An exfoliator is designed to improve the texture of your skin by removing the surface layer. This sounds harsher than it actually is. But removing a layer of dead skin will not only reveal younger more beautiful skin, but it also allows your products in your next step (serums and moisturizers) to be better absorbed. It will also allow your makeup to be applied more evenly and smoothly. Exfoliating shouldn’t be done every single day, but maybe 1-2 times per week. Always work your way up to more frequency.

You can also find more gentle exfoliating face washes that may be used daily. Just check the labels! When you do find a good daily one, this can be your second cleanse.



3. TONER

A toner should be used right after cleansing and before any serums or moisturizers get applied. I use the Purity Balance for it’s lactic and salicylic acid. I’m quite oily so this helps to balance my skin out. It also helps to remove another layer of skin that the exfoliator didn’t.

I spray a few sprays on a cotton pad and swipe it over my face. You’ll see dead skin on the pad after you run it over your face and neck (I never forget my neck!). What you’re seeing on the pad is dead skin that your cleanser and exfoliator may have missed.



4. SERUM

Before your moisturizer, you’ll want to use a serum. The best way to understand the serum and moisturizer combination is that the serum is your vitamin, and the moisturizer is your drink of water to wash them down. A serum is packed with nutrients, vitamins and high potency ingredients that will help to transform your skin. If you’re not using a serum yet, I would say this is the thing you need to add to your routine immediately. The price tag can often be a little high, but you use such a small amount that it will last you a very long time.

PS check out my BIG post on serums to find the right one for your skincare concerns here.



5. MOISTURIZER + SPF

Finally, moisturizer! I know it seems like it took forever to get to what you thought was ALL you needed. But trust me. Once you have your toner and serum in place, your moisturizer will not only work better, but you’ll probably need one less pump of it. Truth! I have a few moisturizers that I rotate through depending on what my skin is feeling like or what the day has in store for me.

My tried and true, and the one item I’d want with me on a deserted island is my Peptide Rich Defense moisturizer with SPF 50. I have been using this for YEARS and I can not recommend it enough. There is also Humidify which is great if you live in a super dry climate, or Shineless if you’re very oily. Whatever you choose to use, just be sure that this step ALSO includes an SPF for the day. This is a crucial step and I think one that easily goes hand in hand with your moisturizer. I also love this Olay Regenerist Whip for a matte finish and an affordable price point.



6. ANTI-AGING NIGHT CREAM

Now onto our nighttime routine. At night, you should also be cleansing your face and using a toner. Exfoliate occasionally when you can. But you can skip your moisturizer and let your night creams do the work here. If you want anti-aging, you need retinol. Period. Retinol helps to stimulate new cell growth. It’s a form of Vitamin A and truly is the fountain of youth if you ask me.

For night, I use Cosmedix Define.  This product has a 2% AGP complex which basically means it’s a retinol that’s microencapsulated for a more even application and a controlled release. At night you can also use a face oil, or hydrating heavy cream for extra moisture.

Learn more about retinol here!



7. EYE CREAM

We can’t forget under our eyes, can we? This is something I struggle with the most as I suffer from very dark circles. I also want to plump up the skin and renew it so that I do not get wrinkles. For that, I use Eye Genius which helps combat both.

You can also use an eye cream in the morning as well for hydrating and to help illuminate the under-eye area. I like this one from skinfix that’s super affordable.



8. WEEKLY MASK

Everyone should be doing a face mask once a week to address your specific skincare concerns. Hydrating, anti-aging, rejuvenating, whatever it might be. Choose one, or have a few on hand, to use on a weekly basis. You want to do these only weekly as they’re usually potent. Too frequent use can cause irritation and stir up new skin issues.

I rotate between two masks for my skin. The Pure Enzyme mask which you can actually FEEL working and see a difference in your skin immediately. It tingles while you’re doing it and your skin looks like it’s been regenerated (it’ll be a little red, don’t freak out it’s normal!). With hydration-boosting Gluconic Acid your skin is left more plump, exfoliated and overall more beautiful. And the other, a charcoal detox mask. I’m super oily so I really benefit from this (read my big post on charcoal here!).


Comments